Let's meet at that Place, you know the one we always meet at...Mark 3:13  

Posted by Sj

I'm having a hard time with tonights lesson, not because I can't put the thoughts together but because I...well, keep reading.


     I find it difficult to watch a lot of BIG events, whether its on TV or out in the community or even hearing about it on the radio.  It seems like the whole reason for getting together somewhere is to show off our wealth or our power or our status or whatever.  Let me show you what I mean, the Superbowl, should be about a great game with athletes testing their skill and abilities against one another.  Instead, what you get is about a month of hype about "the backdrop here in beautiful (insert city and stadium here)", you have companies paying millions of dollars for adds that are, well, nearly rated R if not beyond, and the athletes throwing themselves to the media gluttons and selling off any part of their values that will make them more money; and the focus is taken completely off the reason why they are meeting in the first place.  Or, how about Joel Osteen's ministry, I have watched his program a number of times and have noticed that almost every single time, during his message, there is always something in it about the way they landed the facility they have...ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME.  I know, I can hear you saying, "but Joel Osteen is a positive, dynamic pastor who preaches the gospel, just look at how big his congregation is.  How could you take a shot at him."  Well, I'll tell you, I have not seen him preach the gospel once but on many occasions I've seen him preach the health and welfare message that says that as long as you believe, you'll have.  And if you don't have it yet, you just need to keep on believing - I can't, in all good FAITH put any stock in that alone.  Or how about the Emmy's, the Grammy's, the Tony's, or the Ocscars...I think you get my point.  We have made the whole reason for our gathering more about how much we can afford and put on than really the reason that we gather in the first place.

     Now, I'm not saying that the place for your meeting, gathering, event isn't important, not at all.  Look at the places Jesus used as backdrops for some of his most important teachings and events; the Sermon on the Mount, when he sat down and began teaching right there on the mountain.  How about the chosing of the twelve, do you think that, that spot was deliberately chosen for his setting, of course.  What about the Last Supper, what was it about that place that made it so special to Jesus that He wanted it to be THE place where he would eat his last meal with his closest brothers?  All of these places have one thing in common, they were all chosen for their specific appeal to add to the absolute importance of the message.  In other words, he used it to add to the memory of the event but didn't use the backdrop to deter from anything he was saying.  Do you remember how many people he fed with just a basket of fish and a loaf of bread?  If that event was replicated by people today, do you know how big of a production we would try to make it?  First, it would have been on TV adds for about 6 months; their would have been celebrities speaking in black and white, "feel-good" commercials (you know those, their the ones with the piano music striking a single note or two) telling you about how important it is that this event happens because its all about feeding the people.  Next, a full Hollywood film crew would want to be brought in to stage it, produce it and ensure that we had Vegas show-girls handing out goody bags.  Then, the "behind-the-scene's" crew would want to come in, with a constant camera on Jesus (they'd call it Jesus-cam) and the twelve during the whole production so we can get a closer view of "what really goes on backstage"; AND we'd be force fed every little weird cameral-angled shot from under the table to over the interviewers shoulder.  Then, we'd have E! wrap up the whole thing by desicrating it and revealing that they never really used one fish and a loaf of bread but that the whole thing was staged (and somehow, don't ask me how, but Paris Hilton would get some camera time)...when all Jesus really intended to show us was that with a faith so focused and trusting on God's perfect plan we can do anything by, with and thru him, but not for our own glory.  Here's what I know, Jesus never used any huge production crew to hype his message or his lesson.  He simply used a background that was appropriate for what was about to unfold before our eyes.  Can you imagine being one of the three on the mountain top when Elijah and Moses appeared to Jesus and how brilliantly white his robe was?  Not that the view from a mountain top isn't breathtaking enough, but then to see the brilliance that was shown in front of that.  I can't even picutre how beautiful that must have been.  Amazing. 

     You know, it tough for me to know what to take away from this lesson about chosing "the place".  I'm not a businessman who meets in airport hotels or convention centers; I'm not someone who puts on events that gathers the masses.  I don't even entertain clients for new business over lunch.  So, how does this apply to me?  Or, better yet, how can I bring those closest to me to my most favorite places to teach them what I want them to know.  How do I make it something special for them that they will take with them and remember.  It's funny, as I sit here typing this and asking the Lord for His guidance, I am realizing that I may have come up with something.  As I look back, I realize that I've already been shown a great place and example and how to use it.  My Grandfather (now in the Lord's hands) took me out to the Lancaster golf course every Tuesday and taught me the game of golf, from the age of 10 until I graduated from HS.  He and I talked about so many things out there.  I learned about many of the Lord's lessons from him, there.  I learned about (believe it or not) sex, there.  I learned about patience, maturity, respect, you name it...there.  You know, what if it's not really about the spot itself not being special after all.  Maybe it's about how special that spot was to us and what we did there that made that place so memorable and something I will cherish for the rest of my days.  Thanks, Grandpa, for being my friend and my mentor.  I know it took me a while for those most important lessons you were trying to impart on me to sink in, but I'm a little stubborn at times.  Hopefully I'm continuing the legacy you were trying to pass along to me.  

I think I finally get it.

This entry was posted on 08 April 2009 at 16:32 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 made there mark

Post a Comment