Tonights Topic: Mark 3: 1-6; Unwarranted Attacks - Are you prepared as a leader  

Posted by Sj

OK, so I can relate to tonight's topic in so many different ways.  I don't think you'll find, in any other construct, the different number of leaders we have at all the various levels of our hierarchical structure.  Couple that with the many different backgrounds, skill levels and education levels you have in each of these positions and you'd be amazed at the cross-section of leadership styles you'll see.  Obviously with that melting pot...no, scratch that, melting ice cube tray of styles and people, you're going to face opposition in the shape of the Unwarranted Attack.  It's just how it is, right, I mean, I've been both on the giving end and the receiving end - we all have.  But the one thing I need to remind myself of is that I, as a leader, will have this type of opposition regardless of the pureness of my motivations.  Jesus had, arguably the purest motives of anyone to walk this planet in both space and time and look at how many times he was opposed.  Oh man, it was at every turn!  Are you kidding me, this guy had the patience of...well...of God (I know, seems funny to say out loud doesn't it).  But think about how you go about your daily life and the mini challenges you face that you get frustrated at.  And it's one thing for the opposition to be rational and thought out.  That I can handle, if someone comes to me and presents a logical counter to my position, I'm more likely to holster my weapon (in this case, my tongue), start moving down to 50% security on my defenses and calling the president and spinning down the tactical nukes, but when people come up to me and its obvious that they haven't thought this far (       ) past their nose, I'm looking to push the big, red, shiny button and erasing them with all the intellingence I can bring to bear.  I know, I know, I shouldn't be thinking like that.  I should gracefully accept the fact that we all have our differences and should see each others differences and accept the fact that we can agree to disagree.  If we all did this, just think about how many wars we could have avoided...so back to the topic, so how do I as a leader, deal with the unwarranted attack.  Knowing full well that the campaign plan in my head isn't the one I should be executing.  Well, the first thing I need to do is prepare for it.  Good leaders need to expect opposition, great and wise leaders understand that their will be opposition and prepares for it.  That's the difference in reaction usually, the great leader will react with grace under fire (like Jesus).  The one who is probably better suited for something...less challenging will responsd with an equally illogical response.  So, how prepared are you to take the criticism if you want to be a leader?  Can you handle the unwarranted part of this job?


So, over the next month, I want you to evaluate the following part of your leadership ability:
IF you've thought out your mission and have counted all the cost, do you still react to illogical responses/behaviours in the same way that you received them; or do you find yourself handling them more rationally and with less stress?  

Just remember, if you sacrifice your morals and values based on your actions or words in response to an illogical or irrational response, you've just lost the ability to defend that piece of the moral ground your on and will be viewed as a hypocrate by all around you.

This entry was posted on 01 April 2009 at 22:21 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 made there mark

Great message! Learning to, how'd you put it....."holster your weapon" is a tough thing to do. I sometimes find it hard to do that. I have even had times when I haven't and have regretted it. I remind myself every day, talk to people out of love. It's not always so easy to do. Your final comment about loosing your moral ground and looking like a hypocrite is stop on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts each night!
Lisa

02 April, 2009 06:49

Amen brother! I don't know how many times in my life I have forfeited my ability to effectively lead due to my inaction or reaction.

PS I can post now :-)

02 April, 2009 08:07

Post a Comment